About Sweet Blooming Roots
Welcome to Sweet Blooming Roots! I’m so happy that you have stopped by for a visit! I hope you stay a while. Sweet Blooming Roots is a place where I get to share my passions and hopefully inspire you to pursue yours. It’s a celebration of the things that fill us with joy, as we walk this journey, called life. For me those things are food, crafting, visiting new places, and striving to become a healthier me in every way.
About the name
I never realized just how difficult it would be to decide on a blog name! I wanted it to be a meaningful name, which would express special memories of the important individuals that have shaped my life. After a lot, and I mean A LOT of thinking, and some help from my husband, I picked Sweet Blooming Roots. My roots and the beginning of my inspirations lie in Mexico, in the beautiful aged hands of my two grandmothers, my mother and my father (and of course, many other individuals). I watched and learned from them, while they cared for me and gave me an inspiring place to thrive. This is where I’m rooted, and now it is my time to let their kindness blossom.
Hi! I’m Erika. I live in the friendly (and sometimes crazy cold) Winnipeg, Manitoba along with my nothing-short-of amazing husband, Kevin, who works full-time as a Physical Education teacher, and overtime as my encouraging fan!
What has always intrigued me about my city is the cultural diversity and the many small local shops and restaurants waiting to be explored. I also enjoy having four seasons (wishing winter was shorter though), and I find that there’s something truly magical about each one of them, my favourite being summer, followed very closely by fall.
For as long as I can remember I have loved messing around with food in the kitchen, or should I say turning the kitchen into a mess! First, as a child and teenager in my parents’ kitchen in the beautiful Chihuahua, Mexico, where my cooking was influenced by both, the Mexican and Mennonite cuisine. Then in Manitoba, Canada, where I was introduced to many new flavors and spices from different cultures. Needless to say, I love, and have been inspired by these two places and will always call both of them home.
Creating artistic things has always given me great joy. Did I already mention how much I LOVE that feeling I get when I’m finished crafting, and I’ve created something that was a success and I can’t wait to get on Skype to show it to my parents? Anyway, my parents were always encouraging of this passion and sent me off to art classes when I was a kid. Thank you!
My family also loved going on road trips and exploring new places, and that’s how the so-called travelling root was planted in me. Luckily I married someone who shares the love for travelling. My husband and I love to go on trips, and our bucket is pretty full of places we hope to visit yet!
What drove me to start this blog? Well… I spent so much time thinking, if only I could spend my life doing the things I love… and finally I asked myself, who’s stopping me? So, here I am, taking my first step into an unknown journey, and hoping for many great things to come. I appreciate each and every person who has encouraged me along the way. This quote reflects how I feel:
If it’s both terrifying and amazing then you should definitely pursue it. -Erada
Fun facts about me
• I have a Bachelor of Music from Canadian Mennonite University
• I have a hard-to-identify accent
• I speak four languages (High and Low German, Spanish, and English)
• I like to use my pressure cooker, but I will hide behind the wall when it makes noises, because it terrifies me!
• People think I have weird eating habits: I eat my fruit with Tajín (a lime chili powder), put ketchup and lime into my chicken noodle soup, salt my watermelon, and eat my popcorn with hot sauce.
• I’m scared of deep water
• I hate the feeling of a soft paper Popsicle stick in my mouth
• I can’t stand any friction on my fingerprints
• My speech slurs when I eat ice cream
• I have a real obsession with cook books
I also enjoy…
• Exploring new restaurants
• My house plants – they are my babies! (I give them names)
• Watching movies (and eating a whole bag of popcorn by myself!)
• Relaxing walks and bicycle rides with my husband
• Making gifts for special people in my life
• Listening to the elderly tell stories (they were young and crazy once too!)
• Soaking in sunshine with a cold drink in my hand
• Visiting and sitting around the fire (and eating s’mores!)
• Heart-to-heart conversations
• Reading a book (if it’s Harry Potter!)
• Playing the piano (I also teach some awesome students!)
• Visiting thrift stores and markets
• ______________ (insert something spontaneous)
Alright! That is me and SBR in a nutshell. Thank you for stopping by! 🙂